NEWS: Nabisco To Expand Newtons Fruit Thins Lineup With Lemon and Apple Cinnamon Flavors

Written by | March 8, 2012

Topics: Cookies, Nabisco, Newtons

Newtons Fruit Thins

We didn’t review the Nabisco Newtons Fruit Thins (shown above) when they were introduced this time last year, but over the past year many people have left their thoughts about them in the comments section of the news post we wrote about the product. People appear to love Newtons Fruit Thins, so much so that they’re willing to leave a comment on a blog they’ve never visited before.

Well, I hope those people come and leave a comment for this news post about the new Newtons Fruit Thins varieties — Lemon Crisp and Apple Cinnamon Oat. Like the other flavors of these crispy cookies, they are made with real fruit and provide eight grams of whole grain per serving.

Despite the rave reviews, I have yet to try any of the Newtons Fruit Thins varieties.

Bad, semipopular product review blog editor-in-chief!

Three Newtons Lemon Crisp Fruit Thins have 140 calories, 45 calories from fat, 5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 100 milligrams of sodium, 22 grams of carbohydrates, 7 grams of sugar, 1 gram of fiber, and 2 grams of protein. The nutrition facts for a serving of Apple Cinnamon Oat Fruit Thins are mostly similar, except it has 95 milligrams of sodium, 23 grams of carbohydrates, and 8 grams of sugar.

1. Marcia says:

I love all the flavors (Fruit Thins) that I’ve tried but have a complaint about the Lemon Crisps. It seems the cookie contains hard, chewy bits of lemon peel (?) that are difficult to chew. I hope this can be corrected. The flavor is great but chewing the hard bits is rather hard on the teeth. I have not noticed this with the other flavors (Fruit Thins) that I’ve tried. The date on the pkg. is 29Aug12…..

2. Michelle says:

I LOVE the little hard bits in the Lemon Fruit thins. They are chewy and a good burst of lemon flavor. JMHO but this is my favorite flavor so far.

3. Chris says:

I also love the chewy bits on lemon in the Lemon Fruit thins. I didn’t think our family would like these as much as they did. I will buy them again and try other flavors.

4. Joan says:

I agree with Marcia — I hated the hard, dry lemon peel. I didn’t look at the picture on the package carefully. I thought they would be filled cookies, like the Fig Newtons. Kellogg’s Special K Fruit Crisps are much better. They’re filled with a strawberry puree and packaged two to a pouch — 100 calories. I’m hesitant to try the other Newton flavors.

5. I like to think of the Fruit Thins as somewhere between a graham cracker and an English digestive biscuit. We love them in this house, but are divided on the Lemon Crisps. I adore the candied lemon peel, my husband hates it.

But we both loved the pie crust I made with the Lemon Crisp cookies this weekend. Most likely because I pulsed the cookies in the food processor for a while so that they would make a graham cracker like crust, and that pulverized the lemon peel some more.

Now I want to do this with all the different flavors, because while I made the crust for a cream pie, I now have visions of cheesecakes in my future.

6. Terry says:

I loved the lemon crisps and the lil bits of chewy lemon, I am not a fan of crisp cookies so I leave mine out and they are softer, great cookie and can eat 3 Cookies for 4 WW points!!!

7. Colleen says:

I love the bits of lemon peel (my son does not)! They make a fabulous crust and it is great to get 3 for 4 WW Points Plus :-)

8. Theresa says:

I love the new lemon fruit thins but the pieces of lemon in them are very hard on the teeth! Other than that they are delicious!

9. Cari says:

I am surprised that the lemon flavored cookies made it to store shelves, with the very hard pieces of lemon inside them! I was shocked to read here that some people like them. The cookie was fine, but I would never buy them again if they still have the lemon pieces inside. Some of the chunks are pretty big.

10. Ceal says:

I have sampled many different varieties of the Newton Thins. Think the large misconception is that a large portion of people will approach them as if they were a modern American cookie. They are not.
    They closely resemble a traditional “Tea Biscuit” or traditional “Biscuit”, I personally find this greatly appealing. They are supposed to have the harder bits of fruit; you’re supposed slow down and eat them in small bites, and savor the complex flavors. I attribute the difference to the same type of misconception surrounding fruit cake. (I.e. A traditional fruit cake VS. an American fruit cake. There is a very large difference between the two, even though they are referred to by the same name).
    This past weekend I and the group I was with (approximately 200 people) sampled the Lemon, the Cranberry & the Apple n Oats. All went over exceedingly well. The Lemon was however the favorite overall.
    I will definitely purchase these again.

11. Nancy Dininger says:

I love the new coconut fudge flavor as well as cranberry citrus. They are my absolute favorite cookie of all time.