Quiznos Prime Rib Sub

Written by | March 22, 2006

Topics: Fast Food, Food, Quiznos

Mmmm…Prime rib.

It’s one of the staples of the all-you-can-eat dinner buffet, along with soft serve ice cream, a salad bar with your choice of ranch, thousand island, and Italian dressing, soggy corn on the cob, belts that need to be opened up a notch, and smelly, smelly restrooms.

The prime rib stop always holds up the rest of the buffet line, sometimes stopping the buffet traffic all the way back to the cauliflower at the salad bar.

When people see prime rib, they want prime rib, unless they like their meat well done, they’re a member of PETA, or they believe Adam’s rib, which formed the sexy, naked Eve, can be the only thing called “prime rib.”

An all-you-can-eat dinner buffet is usually the only place where people consume prime rib, because cooking a prime rib is not a job for the impatient or really hungry people.

However, thanks to Quiznos, which is probably the easiest 25-point Scrabble word there is using the letters “Q” and “Z,” we can all enjoy prime rib without the “goodness” of a Las Vegas buffet, like long lines or old ladies in motorized carts bumping into you.

The Quiznos Prime Rib Sub consists of thinly-sliced, slow-roasted prime rib with mozzarella cheese, sauteed onions, and mild peppercorn sauce.

I felt compelled to purchase one after seeing the commercial for it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

If you haven’t seen the commercial, go visit the Quiznos site, it’s wonderful food pr0n.

The commercial shows an orgy of prime rib that glistens with the shine of the greasy mild peppercorn sauce, stuffed in between two long buns, with white mozzarella cheese oozing out from between the meat. Of course, the sandwich in the commercial looks nothing like the picture above, which looks like two haggard hobos getting it on.

Although, the Quiznos Prime Rib Sub looks like two haggard hobos getting it on, it tastes like whatever the opposite of two haggard hobos getting it on would be. In other words, it was pretty good. The peppercorn sauce was good, but thankfully it wasn’t overpowering, which allowed the flavor of the meat to be noticed. The meat wasn’t tough and there really was an orgy of it, as you can see from the picture above.

However, just like most good prime rib buffets, the Quiznos Prime Rib Sub was very pricey. A regular-sized prime rib sub, which is about eight inches long, costs about ten dollars.

Too bad it wasn’t all-you-can-eat prime rib subs, because then it would’ve been worth it.

Item: Quiznos Prime Rib Sub
Purchase Price: $9.29 (Regular-Sized)
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Pros: An orgy of meat. Mmmm….Tasty! Good peppercorn sauce. All-you-can-eat buffets. Using “Quiznos” in Scrabble.
Cons: Hella expensive. Cauliflower. All-you-can-eat buffets. Old ladies in motorized wheelchairs running to me.

1. marvo says:

Chuck – I must be building a strong stomach with all the crap I eat, because I felt fine after eating the sandwich. Well I guess some people like Larry the Cable Guy and other don’t.

2. Stacie says:

Thank you for that dose of reality. It sure doesn’t look anything like the picture in the advertisements! I have’t gotten my free Quiznos spam/email coupons lately, since the last ones expired anyway. I got disgusted the last time I was there because the workers were so dang rude and I haven’t been back since. Oh, my boyfriend’s mom calls it Queeznos.

3. marvo says:

Stacie – You haven’t gotten Quiznos emails? Every other week I seem to get one with coupons I can’t use. Oh well.

4. Miguel says:

It is deli roast beef, dipped in au jus and put on a standard Quizno’s bun. Quizno’s though better than Subway (no great achievement), isn’t up to any local sandwich shop.

5. marvo says:

Miguel – Definitely not deli roast beef, unless it’s a really crappy deli. Quiznos is better than Subway, but more expensive.

6. laina says:

eeeeewwww marvo thats just taking it to far man lmao yuckyuck

7. marvo says:

laina – Sorry about that. :-(

8. Marali says:

I WISH I had the same experience as most of you! We tried that sub today at Quiznos in Carson City, NV. Although I could tell it WOULD have been very tasty, our meat was SO bad hubby had to spit out three pieces of gristle the size of a peach pit. Awful. Then we both got to these pieces that the only way you could get through them was to hold them in both hands and gnaw your way through. Needless to say, we didn’t bother by that point. We didn’t have NEAR the meat in ours as what is pictured above either. I talked to the manager.. who was really a nice guy… and he said that Yes, he had been getting quite a few complaints. He said the meat comes in pre-sliced from Quiznos to the restaurants. Then he gave me a percent off my NEXT purchase!

Oh well… I wrote to Quiznos. Maybe it will get better, but for $10, we sure won’t be doing that again!

9. Fran says:

I tried this sandwich today because it did look good on the commercial. i have a quizno’s in front of my office and even the picture looked good

IT WAS HORRIBLE…… Dry, and there are no sauteed onions. They are raw onions.
    Quizno’s was a big hit when they opened, but no more. The sandwichs are not that good and they are way to expensive. I would rather spend $8.00 for lunch in a real deli.

10. Masquerade says:

Well I will tell you this. If any of my employees made a sub that looked like that picture, they would be reprimanded. But I will tell you that they are sometimes a bit mushed after being wrapped to go, placed in bag on end instead of flat as this appears. Then you unwrap it and set it up for a photo….well it takes a toll on the looks but should not on the taste. No excuse, just my opinion as an owner. It appears not much attention was paid to wrapping this sub. Ours look like the picture that appears on the Quiznos web site when served in store. It appears a bit flatter after snuggly wrapping.

You know what….I also feel it is a waste to cut and dispose of the ends. Quiznos corporate mandates that we do this. We wanted to save ours and give to organizations for the homeless ect. Corporate will not allow this because of liability. We have many complaints of waste and customers do not realize that corporate dictates every move we make. I mean down to the inth degree. Ridiculous!! At least they let us continue to breathe as they suck the living life out of almost every owner. Horrible, just horrible!!!

You should write to corporate and complain about the bread ends. They don’t believe us when we tell them.

I also have complaints myself as to how much dressing they require us to use. It is just to much. Then you get someone who is heavy handed and it is swimming.

11. marvo says:

Marali – I once ate at an Italian restaurant and the waiter asked how I liked my lasagna. I told him I didn’t really care for it because it has waaay too much ricotta cheese. So he told me that he wouldn’t bill me for it. Awesome. Sorry, your experience wasn’t like that.

Fran – Even if it is more expensive, I still do prefer Quiznos over Subway. It’s MUCH tastier.

Masquerade – But the girl who made my sandwich was sooo cute. She had these cute dimples when she smiled.

12. BOB says:

IF A PICTURE IS WORTH A 1000 WORDS ,THE PICTURE OF YOUR PRIME RIB SANDWICH IS BORDERLINE TRICK PHOTOGRAPHY YOU PULL A FAST ONE WITH THE PUBLICK ON THIS ONE QUIZNOS I FELL FOR YOUR SCAM ONCE NEVER AGAIN AND YOU LOST A REGULAR CUSTOMER FOR THAT SCAM SEE YOU AT SUBWAY

13. marvo says:

BOB – Geez, do you have to yell?

14. Parke says:

Great review — “an orgy of meat”! I have been reporting (follow the website link) on the origins of the Quiznos Prime Rib promotion — sponsored by the federal government’s Beef Board. They wouldn’t tell me the nutrition facts.

15. ANGEL says:

PEOPLE TRIP ME OUT……… #1 PRIME IS OVER $7.00 A LB. HOW MANY OF YOU KNEW THAT? IT HAS A LOT OF MEAT ON…NO ONE CAN SAY IT DOSNT. AS FAR AS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IN THE ‘real world” VS. ADVERTIZING…..WELL…HELLLLLLLOOOOO NOTHING EVER LOOKS LIKE THE ADS.YOU COULDNT EVEN MAKE A PEANUT BUTTER SAMMIE LOOK LIKE AN AD. GET A LIFE PEOPLE…….QUIZNOS IS SO MUCH BETTER THEN SUBWAY !! IF YOU CANT AFORD TO EAT THERE (QUIZNOS) THEN DONT GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Ross says:

Point A: Quiznos is a proper noun. It can’t be used in Scrabble.

Point B: This sub cannot possibly be actual Prime Rib. I call bullshit: