Froot Loops Cereal Straws

Written by | June 24, 2007

Topics: 3 Rating, Cereal, Food, Snacks

I must start by saying that I’ve never really liked Froot Loops. I was always more of a Trix guy growing up. I can’t say why, exactly. Maybe it was my sympathy for the Trix rabbit, or maybe it was because I never really understood the appeal of Toucan Sam. He was boring and dull, nothing like my buddy “Two-Can Sam” who earned his nickname through his method of drinking which led to alcohol poisoning. Perhaps I never really dug Froot Loops because my elementary school would feed me stale ones every morning.

It also could’ve even been the fact that my school district switched from milk cartons to milk bags in the mid nineties, forcing us to puncture the bags like savages. The milk went everywhere but in the bowl, causing me to dress the cereal with tears when the milk from the bag ran out. So maybe it was the horrible traumatization, but I can’t be sure. What I am sure of is that I no longer have to relive those memories, as Froot Loops now come in straw form.

“Straws…made of cereal? This is fucking AWESOME!”

What do you mean? That wasn’t what you were thinking? Okay, you’re probably right. On the list of “things nobody asked for, but we’re going to give you anyways,” cereal straws has to rank in the top five. On that basis alone, it was worthy of an impulsive buy. I need to drink more milk, anyways. I haven’t grown in years and the commercials say it helps prevent osteoporosis in women. I’m not sure if I need that second part, but you can never be too sure.

Upon perforating one of the two packages, the perfume of fake fruit and powdered milk permeated the air and tempted the taste buds (try to say that without sounding like Daffy Duck, I dare you). There’s something about unabashedly artificial flavoring that’s both charming and nostalgic…sexual, even. Alright, maybe not sexual, but something pleasant nonetheless. The straws were thinner than what the box indicated, looking more like real straws than giant-sized novelty pens. They are lined in the middle with that sickly sweet powdered milk that seems to be popping up in granola and cereal bars everywhere. Someone needs to tell these guys that it does NOT replace milk and that we can all tell it’s just sweetened coffee creamer. Fortunately, the flavor of that is masked by the Froot Loop shell.

The straws themselves are rather sturdy and hold up well to milk. They last a long time without getting soggy and do actually work as straws. They basically taste like Froot Loops, which is all you could realistically hope for. Sadly, the cereal straws live in a paradoxical existence; humans cannot eat and drink at the same time. Well…I guess soup makes us do that, but let’s ignore that for a second.

Once you take a single bite of the cereal straw, it becomes too short for drinking and the fun immediately dissipates. If you just sit there and drink the milk, you’ll just be wasting the straw as it imparts no flavor and is generally useless. Once you get to the bottom, you realize you have a half-soggy cereal straw with no milk to wash it down with.

God damn, it’s like a snake eating its own tail!

Alas, cereal straws are apparently too cool for the laws of this universe and exist only as fun, yet impractical novelties.

Item: Froot Loops Cereal Straws
Price: $2.00
Purchased at: Wal-Mart
Rating: 3 out of 5
Pros: Froot Loops flavor and fragrance. Snackable without milk. Actually works as a straw. My buddy “Two-Can Sam.”
Cons: Ridiculously pointless. Extremely artificial taste. Alcohol poisoning. Daffy Duck’s speech impediment. Can’t drink and eat at same time.

1. Zadillo says:

Whoops, sorry about that – I didn’t even notice that this wasn’t written by Marvo. My apologies!

2. eric says:

i thoguht of gettting these, the problem is while i like Froot Loops (and all cold cereal), i’m never in the mood for a glass of milk.

so the ratio here is wrong, not enough cereal for the amount of milk.

suppose you could eat the entire box of straws maybe in a sitting to offset that.

have to check if the box lists the correct eating scenario, maybe they do want you to have a box at a time.

3. Alaska Miller says:

Yeah, this is just the repurposing of an age-old product: the asian flute cookies.

Go to any asian supermarket and in the snacks section you’ll find these. They’re flakey cylindrical things with a sugary coating inside, in flavors such as coconut (my fave) or strawberry and chocolate.

As a kid I remember using them drink milk with, it wasn’t very tasty though.

4. Robyn says:

Just wanted to let you know that I loved this review and blogged it on seriouseats.com yesterday. They’re totally like flute cookies! Ish. Ooh.

5. Ace says:

Zadillo – That’s cool, man. Still very new around here.

eric – That wouldn’t look too great on the nutritional info, I don’t think.

Alaska Miller – Yup, but flute cookies are boring…these are FROOT LOOPS.

Cereal Straws – Hurray for linkage across the web. TIB will soon become “the powers that be”.

Robyn – Cool! May all our lives be enriched with useless snack items.

6. Dan says:

Keep eating those things and say hello to your corporate-designed early death.
    Just post the ingredients to see what I mean.

7. Dan says:

ahh, here we go… (yuck!!!!)

WHEAT FLOUR, SUGAR, VEGETABLE OIL (PALM, SHEANUT, AND COTTONSEED OILS), MALTODEXTRIN, FRUCTOSE, NONFAT MILK, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF GLUCOSE SYRUP, EGGS, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, PGPR (POLYGLYCEROL POLYRICINOLEIC ACID), NATURAL ORANGE, LEMON, LIME AND OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, YELLOW #6, RED #40, YELLOW #5, NIACINAMIDE, BLUE #1, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), TOCOPHEROLS FOR FRESHNESS, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), SESAME FLOUR, VITAMIN B12, VITAMIN D.

8. Destroyer says:

Here in Australia we’ve got a similar invention but instead of an oversized fruitloop straw, it’s a plastic straw with balls of chocolate in the middle. Filters on each end prevent the chocolate being directy ingested whilst still providing a delicous drink. According to the box each straw only contains half a teaspoon of sugar which isn’t too bad considering the high sugar content of a regular glass of chocolate milk

9. Brianron says:

What’s with the description in the lower-right corner?

“Cereal Water Straws”

10. Ace says:

Dan – If I read the labels in most of the stuff I eat, I’d believe that I should have been dead several times over.

Destroyer – I…must…have that. It sounds confusingly awesome.

Frenchman – Thanks for the heads up!

Brianron – It’s actually “Cereal Wafer Straws”. Cereal Water sounds tasty, though, I should try making that.

11. psublue says:

Toucan Sam’s apprehensive “Will anyone buy this crap?” eyeing of the cereal straw is hilarious.

12. Gourmand says:

Maybe our youth could snort their Ritalin with the flavored straw then suck up their milk. Accolades and bravo to the new product development folks at Kellogg! You offer an exciting way to deliver a vital childhood medication and drink milk.

13. calvin says:

dude it’s not that hard to use

eat all of the cereal in your bowl, until there’s only milk left. Then use the fruit loop straw to drink all the milk. Then eat the fruit loop straw for a second meal!

Cereallessly!

14. nat says:

I was in the store with my 10-year-old the other day, and he BEGGED me to get these things. All I could think of was, “Did Marvo review these yet?” I’ve been a spotty reader of late, but I had to come see. You did not let me down! 3 out of 5 for a grown-up would equal 5 out of 5 for a kid, do you think? I’m still passing on these…

But you still crack me up.

15. Zadillo says:

nat, just so you don’t make the same mistake I did, this was written by the new writer Ace, not Marvo (although it was so funny I thought it easily could have been a Marvo original).

16. D-Dizzle says:

Destroyer – Those are Called Sippahh! straws.
    I love those and they do actually give the milk flavor, you just kind of have to drink them in a hurry. but they come in so many flavor. My favorite is the mint chocolate.

17. pillin says:

i always preferred trix over froot loops as well. and i do believe it has to do with froot loops from school. they ruined it for us!!! and does damn milk bags as well! how do they expect a child to poke a hole into it?! we could barely open the carton without it spilling all over ourselves. how are we to stab a tiny straw into a bag?! it’s ludicrous!

i, however, must try out these straws for myself. can you sip alcoholic beverages with them?! haha.

52 Comments Trackbacks For This Post

1. Cereal Straws
  2. Cereal Straws… wow. « Joi Podgorny
  3. breakfast blogger » Blog Archive » Froot Loops Cereal Straws: NOOOOOO!
  4. Consumatron » From the Kids Will Eat Anything department
  5. LifeParticles.com » Cereal Straws -- powdered sugar-cereal drinking straws
  6. Non-Science Fridays - Those aren’t my pants edition. at Angry Toxicologist
  7. Mmm, Donuts! » Blog Archive » I’m all for making eating easier, but…
  8. Bernard AD » Blog Archive » Oh Hell No: Cereal Straws Mark a Low Point in Our Culture
  9. Gizmodo Technology » Oh Hell No: Cereal Straws Mark a Low Point in Our Culture
  10. manicmama » Blog Archive » Fruit Loop Cereal Straws
  11. Episode 4 « WhiteRanger.com
  12. What’s New & Notable in the Land of Food « Daily Dish
  13. Mundane Ramblings » Blog Archive » Useless Product Roundup
  14. random thoughts of a random mind » Blog Archive » Cereal Straws — powdered sugar-cereal drinking straws