Burger King Chicken Fries

Written by | July 26, 2005

Topics: Burger King, Fast Food, Food

BK Chicken Fries

Sometimes there are ideas that when I first hear about them, I say to myself, “That’s a really good idea.”

But then when I’m sober and I actually see the product, I take back what I said and replace it with something like, “Dammit! I can’t believe I’m wearing men’s capri pants! Damn you, vodka! Damn you!”

Well, it happened to me again with these new Burger King Chicken Fries, which are thin strips of all-white meat chicken breast coated with a seasoned batter.

Damn you, vodka! Damn you!

When I read about them a few months ago, I thought that it was a really great idea, because I imagined that Burger King would take the same sleeves they use for their regular french fries and just fill them with chicken fries instead.

Unfortunately, just like all my imaginations that involve me being a ceiling mirror at the Playboy Mansion, what I imagined the chicken fries were, didn’t come out the way I had hoped.

Instead of a heaping of chicken fries, I had the option of having either a six-piece snack pack or a nine-piece “value” meal, which I decided to purchase. Although, after seeing what the chicken fries looked like, I’d suggest you avoid the “value” meal, because it wasn’t much of a value.

Each chicken fry was a little thicker than BK’s regular french fries, roughly three inches long, and depending where your mind is at, they look like either skinny fried mozzarella sticks or fried tampons.

The BK Chicken Fries comes with a buffalo sauce, which I thought wasn’t bad and tasted better than the buffalo sauce I got with the McDonald’s Chicken Selects I reviewed last year. You can also replace the buffalo sauce with either a barbeque, honey mustard, sweet and sour, or ranch sauce.

Probably the most impressive part of the BK Chicken Fries was the container they came in. Just like the Transformers, this container had more than meets the eye. It had a lid that folds back and creates a place to hold the container of buffalo sauce, as you can see in the picture above.

The container was also designed to fit into your car’s cup holder, so that you can eat while driving, talking on the phone, and yelling stuff at your rowdy kids, like “Be quiet!” or “You were all mistakes!”

I would’ve tried eating them in my car, but I was afraid of getting buffalo sauce on my new red and black leopard print car seat covers.

Grrrowl!

Overall, I wasn’t very impressed with the BK Chicken Fries. With them being so skinny, receiving only six or nine pieces made them seem overpriced. Plus, with so little chicken in each fry, it seemed like each fry only contained the seasoned batter.

However, I really did like the ingenuity of the container they came in and I now believe that chickens have another fate to look forward to that isn’t as embarrassing as becoming chicken nuggets.

Item: Burger King Chicken Fries
Purchase Price: $4.59 (9-piece value meal)
Rating: 2.5 out of 5
Pros: Buffalo sauce was decent. Nifty container made for those who like to eat on the go. Better fate for chickens than becoming chicken nuggets. Vodka.
Cons: Value meal wasn’t much of a value. Only six or nine pieces. Not much chicken in each fry. Looked like a fried tampon. Men wearing capri pants. Vodka.

1. Rev. Dubya says:

Oh I know eating the penises don’t make me gay, but I said “penis” a lot and I didn’t want anyone to think that I had an obsession with the word “penis” or anything.

2. marvo says:

Mellie Helen – YYEEEEOOUUCH? It really depends on what I’m shaving.

Amy in GA – I think it would’ve grossed me out if something did come out.

Rev. Dubya – Penis? I didn’t think you said “penis” that much. Two penises doesn’t equal to many penises. Wait, what was this review about again?

3. Brandon says:

McDonald’s is already selling those chicken sandwiches, and I’m sticking to my normal Tendercrisp (Tendergrill, rather, it’s healthier. Had one the other day.) sandwich. The buns on the McDonald’s sandwiches taste putrid, the chicken isn’t tender enough, and the sandwich is very lackluster.

4. marvo says:

Brandon – Thanks for letting me know about the McD’s chicken sandwiches. I shall find out how crappy they are this weekend.

5. Zak Schalack says:

I for one was pleasantly flabbergasted by the bold flavor of these innovative, enchanting creations. Dipping each chicken fry in its own vat of buffalo cream sauce is an experience so heavenly it is normally reserved for the man upstairs. I’ve had a nine-piece everyday since they started coming out and I don’t see myself slowing down anytime soon.

6. nothalo says:

So your complaint is that you went a burger king and got food that was mainly high fat batter. Like a guy reviewing a hummer who complains that it has poor gas milage, or the gay gigilo who is surprised he got the high five, what can the rest of us say but “What did you honestly expect.”

7. Kent says:

something tells me that Zak owns stock in BK

8. Brandon says:

^ROFL. I love Chicken Fries, but could never eat them everyday. I need variation in my life.

…Chicken Fries, Spaghettios, Crunchwrap, Chicken Fries, Soup, Chicken Sandwich, Chicken Fries, Spaghettios, Leftover Pizza, Fatburger, Chicken Fries, Spaghettios, Crunchwrap….

9. marvo says:

Zak Schalack – Innovative…Yes. Enchanting…Only fairies are enchanting. Heavenly…Not even close to Eva Longoria. Normally reserved for the man upstairs…Um, the man upstairs to me is about 75 years old and if he ate the BK Chicken Fries, I think he might die.

nothalo – I expected the freshest ingredients, excellent food preparation, precision deep frying, and maybe a hand job with some of the deep frying oil.

Kent – Zak owns stock in the shoe company British Knights? Man, he totally better get rid of those, because I don’t think they make shoes anymore. ;-)

Brandon – Yes, variation is very good, not only with food, but with shampoos and sexual positions.

10. rockymtnhi says:

Ewwwww–those look disgusting! Haven’t heard of Burger King Chicken Fries in my neck of the woods but I won’t be rushing out to buy them.

11. i know they’ll suck, but I’m totally going to try them anyway. I’m so freakin’ masochistic.

12. gimikera says:

I hope this product reaches our country..I want to try it out for myself. Besides I’m curious to see how fried tampons look like. =)

13. marvo says:

rockymtnhi – I’m sure they’ll be there soon. Actually, they’re probably already there. Eh, it’s actually kind of interesting to try once, because I highly doubt you’ve had chicken fries before.

Webmiztris – No, masochistic would be you eating chicken fries while listening to Clay Aiken and watching Fear Factor.

gimikera – If you’re impatient, just grab a tampon, stick it in some egg batter, then coat it with some bread crumbs, and then deep fry it. ;-)

14. MiMi says:

I bought my first “chicken fries” today …. you’re right – I was shocked at how “skinny” they were. I was starving – so they tasted aok – - but that Buffalo sauce …. oh my – could use as mortar to building a brick fireplace – lol

15. marvo says:

MiMi – Hey, you know what sauce would make a horrible mortar? The Big Mac’s special sauce. I guess the special sauce isn’t so special after all.

16. David J. says:

I work at Burger King and making these is a bitch. First you can only hold so many at once, and before you serve them, you have to put them back down for 25 seconds. There have been a few times where I have fresh ones come up, and people order them right as I’m about to put them away, and I still have to put them down, because they aren’t done, and they need another 25 seconds to cook. Plus, one of the managers thought you had to charge you an extra ten cents for sauce other than buffalo, she took the memo the wrong way. I want those ten cents back, dammnit. However, now she doesn’t charge you extra for that sauce.

This doesn’t matter too the customer much, but it sucks for the burger bitch. I friggin hate my job.

17. chris says:

i had them yesturday…. they were pretty good, and i had plenty of em cause i got 2 of the 6 pack ones…. pretty good stuff =)

18. marvo says:

David J. – Dude, you work at Burger King and you got charged ten cents for a sauce. Shouldn’t you be getting everything free?

chris – Well I’m glad you liked them, but next time, imagine them as fried tampons and see if you can eat two six-packs. ;-)

19. David J. says:

Wrll, I was only charged for sauce once, but I want that 10 cents back. ;)

20. marvo says:

David J. – I say the next time you eat the Chicken Fries take two sauces. That will balance the universe. :-)

61 Comments Trackbacks For This Post